Watches: The Online Sungei Road

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Watches

The Watch that matters.... most.

I'm a freak when it comes to watches but I'd be embarrassed to tell you that my very first watch was a cheap $10 Casio Digital that most Primary School students my age would wear. It was in the late 80s - early 90s, when the digital watch craze was at its peak. I remembered my late father kept on buying those dirt-cheap W-59 Casio's for me whenever the rubber straps would break. The one I loved most was a watch that has a map on it and you can set the timezones for more than 10 countries. I had forgotten the Brand/Model though but being the kid I was, I thought it was a very cool watch. At that time, I was jealous with my friends who had those "cool" calculator watches (and they would be confiscated during exams for obvious reasons) so having such a unique timezone function really made it for me, especially when it didn't cost my Dad a single cent. He literally FOUND the watch, perhaps accidentally dropped unknowingly by its owner, probably another kid like myself.

Then as I grew older, "funky" looking one-of-a-kind quartz SWATCH watches and Boy London timepieces were in fashion. I got a "franken" Boy London watch from a neighbourhood "Night Market" and my cousin also bought me a few pieces of those fancy designed plastic SWATCH watches that were surprisingly really cheap. Cheap is the word. All didn't last long. Looking back, it's quite surprising that the SWATCH didn't become a collectable today, bearing in mind it's "one-of-a-kind" characteristics because according to my cousin, each watch as only one artwork design on its plastic strap and no two watch is alike.

I shall not mention the "Baby-G" fashion craze not because I couldn't own one but mostly because I wasn't into it so much. I didn't see the need for a watch when my handphone could tell the time albeit more accurate than any auto movement out there. I was already a teenager embarking on tertiary life and handphones and its casings became a craze. Remember Nokia 3310? 8850? Ring any bells?

Moving on, I didn't really thought I would be a watch fanatic and so, when my late father slapped his Rolex Oysters and Day-Dates on my wrists, I thought they were the most  grossly hideous looking watches meant for old, retired men. I didn't even think they were expensive either. Don't blame me, I was twelve. Boy did I regret not accepting them from Dad. I can never forgive myself for the blunder I made. FYI, they were all taken away from me when he died by unscrupulous family members out to cheat me of my inheritance. What was left was a franken Day-Date that has its seconds-hand come off right after I gave it a shake one day, but that's another story for another day.

My very first REAL watch when I received my first pay check was a 25Hour Two Tone Gld-plated/Stainless Steel Quartz Date. Coincidentally, my buddy got the same watch as me and we got all excited by it. Then it was another 25Hour Quartz Stainless Steel. Nothing fancy. Then as my interest grew, I became more aware of other brands and as my budget grew, I got a Kenneth Cole Rose Gold Automatic Date. By this time, I thought, well, I'm already there with the "big boys" of the horology club. That damn useless piece of crap burnt a $300 hole in my pocket. Please don't ask me why but I had to go back down to the shop, and had it exchanged with another watch of a similar value.

THIS WAS THE TURNING POINT OF MY HOROLOGY KNOWLEDGE.

I HAD ACHIEVED ENLIGHTENMENT.

It was then that I realised there can be no watch worth sitting on the wrist of any man that costs any less than $5000 retail. Perhaps there are such watches but the numbers might be limited.

As I explained to the shop owner what that disgusting watch had done to my life (and my mind), he offered the one-to-one exchange. There was simply nothing, NOTHING at all that can satisfy my thirst for horologe perfection. 

I had to go for Swiss's TISSOT - PRC100 Quartz. I had to. At least it was way better than the wretched piece of metal that I had previously. Much better.

To those who had diligently read my rants, you would have noticed I had sold it off to buy a value-for-money LÜM-TEC M Chrono and I was loving every moment of it. I heard the model I had has been sold out worldwide already. I know for a fact that it can never match any of my dream watches but until the day when this poor man have the cash to own a luxury timepiece, I'll wear any watch that gives the best value to me and at least have a substantial reliable movement and a brand that does not overprice a mearge ETA or quartz just because it is a renowned clothing or fashion brand. You get my drift.

To share with you, here are the list of my dream watches, hopefully any of these will be within my reach soon:

1) Rolex Submariner 116610 or a vintage one. (A NEED)
2) Omega Speedmaster Professional Pre-Moon Cal.321 (A NEED)
3) Omega Seamaster Calendar Vintage 1950s Cal.503 or the likes. (A NEED)
4) Vintage Omega Military WWW. (A NEED)
5) Seiko Monster Yellow / Snow (A DESIRE)
6) G Shock A1000RAF AJR/AER (A WANT)

These will be enough for now, I guess.

Any kind soul out there willing to lend me a helping hand in acquiring one? I'll pay, of course.

Then, a few weeks ago, something happened. I fell in love with Seiko's Monster.

SEIKO MONSTER "BLACK" SKX779K3 -
7S26 Movement with Rubber Strap.

 Look at that beauty! RED LETTERS on a SUNday!


 The Monster accompanying me on my cooking sessions...
That's Yummy Durian Porridge, by the way.


The Seiko Monster on its REAL MISSION....
Worn during trips on the high seas...


So, how much are you willing to pay for this beauty?

Email me!


--------------------------------------

Men will always be infatuated by watches. I am one of them, who, though not born into wealth, appreciates the term horology and what it really means when talking about good movement and keeping good time.



In the mean time,
I just received my Lüm-Tec M Chronograph M34 from the only Lüm-Tec Authorized Dealer in Singapore on the 15th Oct 2010. Here's the pic.
Retails at SGD$760!

Don't be fooled by this innocent-looking timepiece. It is a beefy 44mm that is a little more than 1cm thick! Not any ordinary stainless steel, though. It is a brushed 316L, the exact substance used on your Rolex. There are only 150 pieces of it world-wide and this baby's serial is numbered 130.

The movement? Heavy Duty JAPAN Miyota OS20. The very movement that runs the Jorg Gray 6500 Chronograph, a gift from the Secret Service to President Barrack Obama on his 46th Birthday. For a very reliable movement and case, this is considered quite a value for money as compared to most watches that have normal movement but with exorbitant prices.

Besides, with hand-made production of only 150 pieces, you're sure to hold on to a BIG investment when this watch turns Vintage in 30 years.

It comes with a rubber strap (for my reservist use), leather strap (for my office meetings and functions) and the 316L Industry Standard Stainless Steel bracelet (for my work wear).

Two ways to grab hold of it.

1) Make an appointment with Ms Yuyan Huang at her shop near Tanjong Pagar MRT. Or if you're lazy, go to:

2) Buy this masterpiece from me for SGD$700 if you would like to save SGD$60.

To each his own. Meanwhile, I'll bask in the sunlight and wait till dusk to see a spectacular Lüm-Tec MDV Patented Luminous Technology at work.

LIKE NEW / AUTHENTIC TISSOT PR100
Warranty 10 months left. With Receipt and full box with links. 
SGD$300.00.

I am selling these two "Singtel" watches for SGD$1.00 each.
They are used only once and still keep time.
The Wrist Band is made of rubber.








I deal in USED luxury watches that ranges from the mighty Patek to the humblest Tissot.

I am also looking for an Omega Seamaster Calendar - original in all of its aspects (UN-REFURBISHED / UN-REFINISHED DIAL) . The only vintage watch that I find it hard to acquire. The Singapore Market is saturated by timepieces with its dials reconditioned, refinished, and a number contain fake parts and crowns, which totally puts me off. If you so happen to have what I need, maybe we could communicate for a sell/buy and/or trade.
Talking about vintages, do take a look at the blog of a good friend of mine:


PLEASE NOTE: 

Transactions and deals for luxury timepieces are only available via COD (Local). If you're interested in a purchase, do email me with the brand and model you're looking for and I'll try to find a good price for you. Watches on hold for sale transactions will be verified at an authorised local dealer, in which, buyer will need to pay for the verification costs, if necessary.

Happy Online Shopping ~

No comments:

Post a Comment